Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First Proper Harvest

The largest tomato is Big Beef, the mid size reds are Bloody Butcher. 3 Black Cherries and Matt's Wild Cherries round out the picture.

I'm now getting a handful+ of tomatoes every day. My zucchini has made a comeback of sorts. There is still some powdery white mildew, but since I thinned the pot from 2 vines to one, the plant has been outgrowing it. Maybe the plants were choking each other somehow, but once I cut the second vine, things began to improve almost immediately.

My afterthought Cuke has also produced a couple fruit with more on the way. They are much better than I expected and won't be an afterthought next time.

I haven't picked any hornworms off my plants in a couple days. The one I found has eggs from the hornworm-parasitizing wasp on his back, so I left him there to spread more death and destruction through hornworm-dom.

Plants need water every 24 hours or so now. It's amazing how much they drink. I wouldn't use anything smaller than 10 gallon pots next year. Plants will grow in 5 gallon buckets, but that gives very little margin for error in watering. Matt's Wild Cherry sucks his 5 gallon bucket dry every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Impressisve gardening on the rooftop in Queens!

Anonymous said...

Not only is your garden great, but so are your photos!

H.